The Burgher's House is the oldest wooden building standing in its original place in inner-city Helsinki. It was built in 1818 for Kristina Wort, a seaman's widow. At that time the building had a hipped roof and was painted with red ochre. The yard building, which has been used as a sauna, a bake house and an apartment, also dates from the early 19th century. A stable, a cowshed, a woodshed and a carriage shelter had been located as well on the plot at the time.
Head Fireman Alexander Wickholm bought the property in 1859. The main building was then painted with yellow ochre and an open porch built in front of the outside door. The room lay-out has remained in its original form. The living-room and chamber are on the street side and the kitchen, entrance lobby and a second chamber are on the yard side.
The plot and its buildings remained the possession of the Wickholm family until 1974, when the head fireman's grand-daughter Martta Broyer sold the property to the City of Helsinki. The City Museum restored the buildings and the museum was opened to the public in 1980.